top of page

ATA Carnets for temporary exports

The ATA Carnet is an international Customs document which allows the temporary importation of commercial samples, professional equipment or goods going to either a trade fair or exhibition to countries which are part of the ATA Carnet system.

Without an ATA Carnet it would be necessary to go through each country's customs procedures for the temporary admission of goods e.g. lodging a temporary import bond. The ATA Carnet simplifies the custom formalities by allowing a single document to be used for clearing goods through customs in the countries that are part of the ATA Carnet system.

An ATA Carnet is valid for one year and allows for movement of the goods shown on the Carnet as many times as required during the 12 months to any of the destinations applied for.

As from the 1st January 2021 UK ATA Carnets can be issued for temporary admission to the EU.


Our system will allow you to complete the application, obtain quotes on costs and list any special requirements for the countries being visited. Once issued, the carnet can either be posted to you or it can be collected from the issuing office. If you prefer to apply manually application forms can be requested from us via email


Revised front and back covers

We have produced a new ATA Carnet document with amendments to the front and back covers (where the UK was classified as an EU member) to reflect the fact that the UK has officially left the EU. The new format will be in effect as from the 1st January 2021.

Ownership status

The UK Carnets must only cover UK owned goods and the goods must be located and exported from the United Kingdom.

Security Rates

The EU is one bloc and therefore one destination for ATA Carnet goods. The single security rate we will be requiring customers to provide for the bloc is 40 per cent.


Q- Where can I have my ATA Carnet endorsed?

A – If you are travelling via an Airport the system via the red channel will not change - HM Gov has published inland sites that will be processing Carnets to take the pressure away from the borders. Please ensure that you are aware of the inland sites and that this is incorporated into your route planning. These sites can process ATA Carnets, CITES, TIR and CTC documentation:

Q - Do I Need To Make A Customs Declaration When Using An ATA Carnet?

A - If the goods are hand carried then no separate Customs Declaration is usually required (other than presenting the Carnet to HMRC + foreign Customs). If the goods are freighted and are bound for an “inventory linked” port or airport they may need to be included on an Import and export: customs clearance request (C21) form using code: CPC 10 00 041 for exports and CPC 00 080 20 for re-imports. If the goods are being sent to a non-inventory port or airport you may need to complete an Import and export: presentation of goods for export (arrival) (C1601) form.

Q – If I am travelling through the EU to get to my non EU destination should I get transit vouchers for each EU country ?

A – You only need to apply for 1 set for each entry and exit out of the EU as a bloc. It is anticipated that you should apply for export / re-export vouchers rather than transit vouchers which come under separate rules and regulations to avoid potential problems at customs points.

For more information, please email

55 views0 comments


bottom of page